This is an idea based on what I am seeing here in Uppsala and although, for an enormous number of reasons, recreating in Manchester what they have here is impossible, some things could be brought over.
The General Idea:
Creating housing owned and run by the student union exclusively for students that get involved as volunteers within or for the Student Union.
Involved in what way?
- Working a few hours a week in one of the Union outlets (Bars, Shops, Giggs, Club nights).
- Getting seriously involved in RAG.
- Holding a committee position within a society and being actively involved.
- Being an active course rep.
To establish the level of volunteer work one does for the Union there could be a special individual ‘point system’.
What Would be so Special about SU accommodation?
- Competitive Price (with all bills included).
- Good quality, fully furnished, bedrooms.
- Good location.
- In a community of fellow students who most likely share similar values on the importance of building a good university experience and making a difference for other students.
How could this be done?
I have already thought of a way, but need to check if what I have in mind is plausible as I would not want to promise something unachievable.